Tuesday, November 6, 2012

A few more observations while driving around Naples

    There are a few things I didn't mention in my last blog about driving around here. Here are a few things, I'm sure I will continue to add to this list ;) 

             *5 people in a Smart Car
             *kids using a DS,etc. while riding on scooters
             * a man driving a car while walking his dog (holding leash out the window) on our narrow, busy, full! street
             *open doors of parked cars while moving cars speed past. not surprising that side mirrors get knocked off, you'd think that people wouldn't want their doors to be yanked off too, right? no..
             *polizia stand at lots of street corners; guarding streets that are blocked or? who knows. they look bored a lot
             *parked cars in every possible position; sideways, backwards, perpindicular to the road, up on stairs, in the middle of the road...surprised? ergh..
            

       I'm kicking myself for not having a camera ready but on our way to church we saw a magnificent black horse (looked like a Friesian stallion) hitched to an elaborate baroque(looked like it was covered in gold, intricate details,etc) style carriage.  It was so grand.  I hope I get to see it again and this time I will be ready to catch a picture.
       On the subject of horses, I have seen horses a few times here so far.  In the city, there are frequent carriages that carry tourists around, near Il Faro church, there are horses on the beach occasionally, and on our way home from the Amalfi coast, I saw a man riding his horse up to a pub. He was just trotting down the middle of the road like it was totally normal.  He was riding in a western saddle too; not too many western riders in these parts..:)

No comments: