Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Isola di Ischia-off of the Napoli coast

     Our last excursion for this Italian adventure, was to the island of Ischia.  We can't see it when we are in the city but when we stand on the beach near Il Faro church, we can see part of the island.
    Since it was Juliann's birthday and she expressed interest in going over to the island, we made it happen.  Also, Aaron really wanted to go check out the natural hot springs that the island is famous for.
    I didn't really grasp what we were going to be doing on the island so I didn't prepare very well to be there.  I brought a swim suit and a towel but that was about it.  Oh well. The day was about Juliann and she had a great day!
    We started with a bus ride around the island.  I had read that the bus circumvented the island, pretty much; so that is what I wanted to do.  Aaron did not want to be that free-spirited and he bought a map and picked a destination.  However, the bus we got on, took us for a long ride around the island-much to Aaron's chagrin. It would have been more fun, though, if there weren't so many stinky smells on the bus and we went around lots of curves,bends,etc. while I happened to be sitting backward on the bus...barf..I did get queasy.
     We did get to a stop that was close to our destination so we walked down to Poseidon Resort.  Again, I wasn't really prepared, so I didn't fully understand what we were doing(I admit I got a little grumpy ;-(.  Aaron just told me we were going to a hot spring resort.  We paid to get in and started looking around.  There were pools-man made, bright blue, tiled pools-not the natural hot springs I had envisioned. There were so many 'grandma-kinis' and 'grandpa-speedos' and none of us were prepared for that! haha  (not to mention 'uncle sack'- the middle-aged guys dressed in speedos or small swim trunks while stretching their legs up as far as they can on a bench or edge of the pool)
     There were about 20 different pools-all different sizes and most of them were different temperatures-15 degrees Celsius-40 Celsius (and a stream that was 90 Celsius! Caldo!) I challenged the kids to go in every pool-even the pool that didn't allow children. They reached that goal and they even went in to the sea.  Fun day!
 view of the port in Napoli. Castel Nuovo in the background;  Mt Vesuvius below









 The resort required that we wear hats or swimcaps. Race's hair rejected that idea.








 We ended the night with dinner out at one of our favorite restaurants. Robin Hood

No comments: